Standardbred Canada, an incorporated, non-profit organization with a mandate to promote and protect the Standardbred breed and the persons who breed, own or race Standardbred horses, is seeking a Chief Financial Officer.
Position Title: Chief Financial Officer
Supervisor’s Title: President and Chief Executive Officer
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience – applicants please list salary expectations in cover letter
Job status: Permanent Full-time
Job Posting Date: September 6, 2016
Application Deadline: September 16, 2016
Standardbred Canada is a Canada-wide not-for-profit organization with approximately 7,000 members. It is the official registry and record-keeping body for the Canadian Standardbred industry. Its mandate is promoting and protecting the Standardbred horses and the persons who breed, own or race Standardbred horses.
The CFO is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the areas of accounting, corporate reporting, budgeting, forecasting, strategic financial planning, compliance, finance, treasury, risk management and human resources. This position is a hands-on and quality-focused financial executive with the experience that combines sound financial leadership with proven business effectiveness.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the accounting and finance functions, including accounting software and systems, accounts payable, receivables, payroll and employee benefits, tax filings and remittances, financial reporting, internal controls and regulatory compliance
- Direct the development of business plans including annual capital and operating budgets and financial forecast
- Establish, develop and implement financial and fiscal policies, systems and procedures to ensure good fiscal management of the Association, to ensure long term financial viability and to ensure the sustainability of business operations.
- Provide financial reports, financial models and operational strategic performance measures for decision support to senior management and the board
- Oversee the tax compliance of the association, management of leases, contracts and other financial commitments.
- Negotiate business insurance plans and ensure appropriate coverage is in place to mitigate risk exposure
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the board of directors
- Manage all funding and investment activities and resources
- Mature, seasoned and proactive leader with demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, controls, analysis and reporting with values of integrity and transparency
- Excellent accounting, analytical and problem solving skills
- Hands-on and proactive management style
- Ability to partner effectively with all lines of business internally and interface with clients, members, vendors, executive management and the Board of Directors
- Good understanding of human resource management
- Excellent skills in Excel (VBA skills desirable), accounting and reporting programs, experience in Sage ERP Accpac, Crystal Reports and JasperReport an asset
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit governance and legislative requirements
- A professional accounting designation
- 10+ years of progressively responsible financial experience
- Not-for-profit or horse industry experience an asset
Please forward your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to the Corporate Secretary:
Attention: Corporate Secretary
2150 Meadowvale Blvd.
Mississauga, ON L5N 6R6
Please note “Chief Financial Officer” in subject line.