The Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protection Association of Alberta (HBPA), a not for profit entity representing the business interests of Thoroughbred Horsemen racing at ‘A” licensed racetracks in Alberta is seeking a Manager/Executive Director on a part time, contract basis. Northlands Park located in Edmonton and Century Downs at Balzac are classified as an “A” racetrack Facilities. The HBPA’s office is currently located in Calgary, however could be moved to Edmonton if required.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will be responsible for: managing the day to day affairs of the Association, providing vision and leadership, for having common sense and business experience, for having the required technical skills, for providing sound advice and strategic guidance to the Board and for planning, organizing, and directing all facets of the operations of the HBPA of Alberta within the guidelines established by the Board.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Preparation for and attendance of all Board meetings and recording of the minutes of such meetings.
- Supervision of the Office Administrator who is responsible for the Association’s administration and accounting function.
- Monitoring the adequacy of internal controls and the reporting on the financial condition of the Association to the Directors and members. Preparation of annual budgets, ensuring the accuracy of accounting data received from industry stakeholders, funding requirements and cash management.
- Liaises with the Association’s lawyers and oversees all legal matters incidental to the functioning of the Association.
- Develops and maintains business relationships including the negotiation and execution of Contracts with industry stakeholders.
- Prepares all necessary correspondence and communication from the Association to Members, track operators, industry partners and others.
- Ensures that the Association makes all filings as required by law in a timely fashion.
- Ensures that all policies of insurance which the Association holds are maintained and are reviewed annually for competitiveness and suitability.
Knowledge of the thoroughbred industry would be both beneficial and preferred. The role currently requires an average of 60 hours per month. To ensure a seamless transition, any training that may be required will be provided by the incumbent. The successful candidate would assume the position independently in June, 2017. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit your resumes in confidence via e-mail to: email@example.com no later than April 15, 2017. The office is physically located located at #205 – 5925 – 12 Street S.E. Calgary, and for additional information you are welcomed to visit the website at www.hbpaalberta.ca .
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.