Backstretch Foundation Newsletter – September / October
The season is almost over and it’s been a busy one for the Backstretch Foundation. This is the last newsletter of the season. Thank you to all who have attended events and helped us this year.
Backstretch Awards for September
Groom of the week:
- September 5th – Roberto Solis
- September 12th – Toby Lukiwski
- September 19th – Scott Allan
- September 26th – Natalie Baerg.
- Backstretch Person – Sarah Hoffman
- Pony Person – Cesar Cervantes
- Exercise Rider – Chris Fearon
- Shedrow of the month – Red Smith Racing Stable.
- Thanksgiving Dinner will be held at “The Italian Place” Restaurant 11010 101 Street starting at 1:00 pm on Sunday October 11th. Turkey buffet with all the fixings. Tickets are $5 each from Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office or Jeanette Haggan at the Learning Center. Hosted by the HBPA. When parking, please bring in your license number to the manager or waiter so you don’t get a ticket.
- Anyone who may be interested in taking the upcoming sessions of the college racetrack programs, get your applications in before October 16th. There is opportunity to have training tailored for you in other areas if you are already in the industry. Please see Theresa Sealy for more information.
- HBPA incentive Announcement – Any horse whose last start in 2015 was at Northlands for a claiming price of under $7500 or lower and does not make a subsequent start in any other jurisdiction prior to making its 2016 debut at Northlands, will be eligible to receive a bonus of $500 upon its first start of the 2016 Northlands meet. Eligible horses will receive an additional $300 upon their third Northlands start. Eligible horse will receive an additional $200 if they make at least one start at Northlands after August 1st 2016.
- Congratulations to the AB Breeders Fall Classic Day Pony costume winners – 1st place was Kirsty Luft (artwork by Ashley Vanderwilk), 2nd Shannon Durand (artwork by her boyfriend), and 3rd Jill Klubi. Thank you to all who participated; it’s a great addition to the day!
- Congratulations to Dale Saunders on his 2000th career win!
- Any employers interested in hiring an Olds College student next year, please see Theresa Sealy for details and get your name on a list.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a backstretch HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy. Your applications must be in by October 17th.
Have a warm and safe winter Horsemen!